Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Blog Hop - An Online Adventure!



 A couple of weeks ago, a friend and fellow artist, Brienne Brown (a fabulous watercolorist), asked me to be part of an "Art Blog Hop." It sounded like fun! So, here is how it works: Brienne posts on her blog and links to my blog (along with two other artists), introducing us to her readers and followers. Then she answers some questions about her own artwork.

In turn, I get to do the same; answer some hard questions and introduce you to 3 other artists of my choice...linking you to their blogs. This is a way for all of us to meet new artists and expand our art world. So, here it goes:

How does my creative process work?
I prefer painting directly from life because I can observe and appreciate the subtle colors and values of the real world that a camera cannot capture, but sometimes I do use a camera...in the case of pets, little children or bad weather when I am plein air painting. 





















Setting up a still life in my studio is a favorite challenge of mine. Sometimes I want to complete the work á la prima by capturing the essence of my subject all in one session. This encourages me to simplify my presentation and learn to paint quickly and intuitively.



























Other times, I want to focus on the details, and I strive to include every tiny feature of my subject into the painting. This requires many sessions and a detailed examination of my subject. To me, this can be as rewarding as a science experiment!

























2. How does my work differ from others of its genre?

I like to zoom in and capture an intimate view of my subject. Yes, I have painted plenty of traditional views - but the close-ups are my favorite. I would rather paint a single blossom than an entire garden or a pine cone instead of a pine tree. I love to use strong color and employ energetic brushwork. 



On what projects am I working?

I have recently started doing more work with a palette knife because of the boldness and vitality it introduces into a painting. Currently I’m working on a landscape series of local scenes here in Utah.

Why do I create artwork?

I simply cannot stop. It’s my passion. I have always been an artist and will likely go to my grave with a brush in my hand. Besides, on those rare occasions when I must delay my work, my family reminds me that I need to paint (maybe I get grumpy).

Now, the fun part: I’d like to introduce two other artists to you!

My good friend, Colleen Howe Bleinburger is a local artist here in Utah. I met her when I moved into the Rockwood Art Studios in Sugar House (her studio was across the hallway from mine). Her work is full of light and color. She captures the rhythm of nature in a soft and romantic way. Working in both oil and pastel, she renders beautiful paintings of rural farmland and outdoor landscape. She’s also an excellent teacher and blogs about her workshops and current projects. I think you’ll like her work!




Renon Hulet resides here in Salt Lake City. I met her through the Intermountain Society of Artists. Her lively work is evident when you browse her blog. Working in acrylic and oil, she paints landscape, people and architecture in a bright, sassy way. She also throws “Painting Parties” for Corporate Team Building, Girls Night Out, Family Reunions and the like! She also teaches art classes in her studio. check out her blog.




That’s it!  You’ve just been introduced to two wonderful artists! Perhaps this will inspire you to keep painting and growing as an artist!






















No comments:

Post a Comment