Saturday, July 2, 2016

Want Some Fun? Take a Workshop!




This Summer I enjoyed taking a plein air workshop from John Hughes 
in Star Valley, Wyoming. Here's our group of artists:


Back Row from L to R: Grayson, Susie, Donny, John (our instructor),
ConiFront Row from L to R: Ruth, Rachel and Kim.


Often we met at the Anderson Ranch located in Smoot, Wyoming.
Rich and Karen Anderson were gracious hosts.


Grayson at the bunkhouse on the Anderson Ranch.



The Tack Shed.


The "Dirty Shame" Saloon on the ranch was a very cool structure
with a full bar, cash register, table and chairs and even an antique
table where Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid played cards
(or was it Billy the Kid...I can't remember).


Here's a painting I did along the road in Smoot, Wyoming:




Each morning we would begin with a demo by John and 
then it would be time for us to paint!




Here's one of the scenes that 
I looked at along with my rendition of it.





We gave one another encouragement. Plein air painting 
can sometimes be challenging but it's always rewarding!


One day we drove near the summit of Salt Creek Pass 
and painted the view there.



Here is my view and my painting of that scene:




Although I didn't finish one single painting while I was there, I 
learned how to see color much more accurately and how to 
put down some thoughtful, painterly brush strokes!

Here is John's painting from Salt Creek Pass:



John gave us a painting demonstration at 
Salt Creek near Thayne, Wyoming.



Our group drove an hour north to Jackson, Wyoming where 
we painted the Tetons! The scenery was breathtaking!





Here's my Mt. Moran painting:


The last evening was spent at a barbecue on the Anderson Ranch. 
Rich cooked the meat in large barrels (yummy) and we enjoyed baked 
beans, baked potatoes, fresh fruit and salad. It doesn't get better than 
that! Karen even made us delicious homemade raspberry ice cream!






John played his guitar (who knew?) and we sang a bit. So fun.

If you ever want to stretch out of your comfort zone and have a 
real adventure, plein air painting is the way to go! 

Happy painting!






























No comments:

Post a Comment